Sunday, May 30, 2010

Grocery List

Diya, my Grandma hands me out a bit of white paper.She orders me to go and fetch the things written on the paper. I look at the paper. It's a grocery list. I make a very reluctant face and refuse to go out of the house at this time of the morning. I try to make excuses. People think i'm too lazy. The truth is, I'm scared of grocery lists. I don't know why. But i'm scared. I feel a prickly ice cube dribbling down my spine.

                            Grocery list, a white piece of paper containing some names; aloo, peyanj, holud, rin saban, ada, amar matha. I feel scared. I quickly run back to my room, i close the door, and i declare myself to be sick. Diya, disgusted with me, goes away, Dadu goes and fetches the items from the grocer. They think, how I being their grandson, my parent's child, could be so lazy, and they go away.

               What they don't understand is that, I am scared. Shit scared of grocery lists.

3 comments:

  1. Why are you scared of grocery lists? I love grocery shopping!
    I think the amar matha is epic...
    Excellent piece by the by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u.... I think Grocery list is somehow a metaphorical reference to... umm... i don't know... of something i'm scared of..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with prinathi! The amar matha part is epic! so is 'hate tv soaps and love shampoo'!! =D

    ReplyDelete