Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Peep Hole

  Sleeping, was never the best option, and especially now, when it was midnight, and it was a lonely time to be asleep. He knew people would be visiting him tonight, and he wanted to meet them.

2:12 A.M.

  A knock on the door. He looked through the peephole. There stood a man, looked like man.

- Yes? What do you want?
  He didn't open the door.
- Good evening sir. I'm a salesman.
- Oh yeah? What do you have to sell to me today?
- God, sir.
- Ahh, what?
- Sir, our company is offering you an un-putdownable offer. We, are giving you, yes sir, lucky you, we are giving you god, and guess what? It's free. You don't have to pay anything, anything sir, and we will be giving you god, for free.
- God? And what do I do with him? Mathay makhbo, na media ke janabo?
- Err, sir, it's god.
- Yeah, so what?
- Sir, what do you do with god?
- I dunno. Can you tell me?
- Sir, if you'd kindly open the door, I'd like to talk to some one senior, barite maa-baba achhen? It's obvious you don't understand the value of what I'm offering you.
- You want to sell god, and I don't want to buy it. Simple enough?
- Err, yes.
- Good, now go.
- But...

2:49 A.M.

A knock again. He looks through the peephole. An old man this time. An old man, with a crooked face.

- Yes? Who is it?
- Young lad, I'm looking for a certain picture, a portrait.
- And how may I help you?
- By giving me the portrait.
- I don't have any portrait here.
- But you do my son. I need it urgently.
- I'm not stepping out of my house at this point of the night.
- Don't you want to help an old venerable man like me?
- No. But I'm feeling curious, why do you need that portrait?
- If I tell you, will you help me?
- No, but I'd like to know.
- The portrait, just looking at the portrait, makes me forty years younger. I become a new man. I live like a new man, a young man, an improved man. I can do the deeds one never sees in their most cynical dreams. I am what everyone wishes to be, but never becomes. Won't you help this old man become a better man?
- Better what?
- A man.
- Oh, I thought something else. No. I won't. Go back home old man. Go back home, and look at the mirror.
- But...

3:43 A.M.

A knock on the door. He peeps through the peeping hole for the last time. There seemed to be a boy standing outside. A boy, not a man.

- Hey boy? What do you want at this point of the night?
- Err.. Mm-mister, it's rr-raining outside. And it's kinda ccc-cold. And I'm kinda wet and d-ddrenched. Can I come in? I'll try not to disturb. Can I, mister, sir?
- Disturb? Heh. I've been waiting for you, for such a long time. Come in.

The door opened. And he left the door opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment